Dan is the proud father of four boys: Jordan, Simon, Jonah, and Jeremiah. He feels his first and foremost role on this earth is to be a father to those boys. Family is very important to Dan.
- 1960, born in San Diego, California (age 58 on election day)
- 1991, fled California for Washington state
- 1993, fled Washington for Idaho, settling in Kootenai County (resident 25 years)
- 2002, moved to the city of Coeur d'Alene (resident 16 years)
1983 University of California San Diego – Bachelor of Arts Degree in Visual Arts/Communication with dual minors in Theatrical Design and Cognitive Psychology
- Dan’s life goal was to be an author. He is living his dream.
- Writer for Byte Buyer, 1984
- Technical Director/Ghost Writer, 1985 - 1987
- Editor for Byte Buyer/ComputorEdge Magazine, 1987 – 1990
- Creator of the For Dummies series, starting with DOS For Dummies
- Dan has written over 165 books on technology and computers, sold over 11 million copies translated into over 32 languages
- Dan has also been a keynote speaker at computer conventions, a guest on Larry King, featured on a segment of CNN Science Update, and has appeared on several radio shows including Charles Osgood
- Dan was a spokesman for both DELL and Microsoft
- Spokesman and promoter in 2007 of PC Live, a computer assistance service
- Author and trainer, LinkedIn Learning, 2014 -
- 2007 Appointed to serve on the School District 271 Long Range Planning Committee
- 2009 School District 271 Levy campaign
- 2011 Won seat 3 on the Coeur d'Alene City Council
- 2011 School District 271 Levy campaign
- 2015 Re-elected to the Coeur d'Alene City Council, running un-opposed
- LEGO League/FIRST Robotics Mentor
- 1995-1995 KMC Festival of Trees sponsor
- 1997-2002 Artistic Director, Lake City Playhouse
- 2007-2010 Art on the Green volunteer
- 2010 LEGO League/FIRST Robotics mentor
- 2008-2011, President Sons of Italy, North Idaho American-Italian Lodge #2814
Other Interesting Facts About Dan
- He speaks a smattering of Russian, Chinese, French, Italian, German, and Latin.
- He currently owns four robots that he built.
- He has a brown belt in Shudokan Karate.
- He enjoys woodworking and builds furniture.
- He has been playing the piano since age 10.
- He swam in the Sea of Galilee and reports he would have waded into the River Jordan, but it smelled really bad.
- Besides Israel, Dan has toured the Middle East, France, England, and China.
Paid for by Dan Gookin Non-Partisan Clerk,
Dan Gookin Treasurer